A flat cable is used to connect electronic components in a printed circuit board (PCB). It is generally used in the automotive, medical, telecommunication and other industries. It is flexible and space saving, and is the ideal choice for wiring harnesses, circuit interconnecting assemblies, drop assemblies and other applications requiring a lot of cabling to fit into a tight space.
The following are some of the important benefits of a flat cable:
- It reduces malfunctioning and wiring problems because of the flat design and parallel geometry of the conductors.
- It is very flexible and can be bent in the thin cross-section area. A flat cable is ideal for applications requiring high or continuous flexing.
- It is stronger than a standard round cable because all the insulation and conductors of this cable share the total tensile load.
- It is easy to handle. It folds, bends and fastens easily and conforms to the mounting area.
- It weighs much less than a conventional cable. This cable does not require insulating, fillers or tapes so it has a reduced bulk and physical volume.
- It is space efficient and easily fits into unused spaces, tight corners and hug surfaces.
- It has a greater surface-to-volume ratio and is more efficient at carrying electricity and dissipating excess heat.
- Its cabling density is higher than a conventional round cable because of the high density of cross sections that run from wire to cable.
- It is acid, moisture, oil, fungus, flame, moisture, solvent and alkali resistant.
If you have been looking for a flat cable, contact Olympic Wire & Cable Corp. today. We have been serving the wire and cable industry for over 35 years, which has made us the technical experts who speak your language. We manufacture and supply the most comprehensive range of voice and data cables. Call 937-227-7996 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.